Wednesday, December 24, 2008

BirthParents- Kim and Steve

As we come closer to Christmas and rejoice in the birth of Jesus on December 25th, I go back in time to 2002 when I received the most important call of my life. Kim, my son's birthmom was in labor. YES, on Christmas day! My mind raced with joy, fear, anticipation on meeting my son or daughter, collecting things, feelings completely out of my body and knowing that I would in fact be a mother. The fact that I would be a mother is the most important part, given that I had always known that I would be one.
Over my life, I have been the mother to my little sister, Mimi. As well, the mother to hamsters, guinea pigs, cats, dogs, birds, fish, turtles, any living thing that needed nurturing; I was the mother.
My one prayer in life was to have the chance to be a mother to a child, my child. And the prayer was answered at 1:19 pm on Thursday, December 26, 2002 in Melbourne, Florida. Garrett my precious son was born and is now going to be six years old in a couple of days.
Hard to believe that the lifetime of worrying, working and wondering has flown by and we are all growing with Garrett. He is the beginning of life as we know it.
After six years, his birthparents, Kim and Steve, are still very much a part of our lives. Kim is a special education teacher in Florida and Steve is a physicist in Florida. They were High School sweethearts and dated after Garrett's birth. Kim has recently gotten married to Bill Price and they are an amazing couple. We had the good fortune to be a part of their wedding in June 2008.
As we come to the anniversary of two sets of parents being created on December 26, 2002, I pay homage to Kim and Steve. Having waited until she was 8 months pregnant to make a final decision, picking Garrett for us to be his parents and having the bravery to hand him to me when we left the hospital on December 29, 2002.
I have never and will never have a word or utterance to fully explain my love and gratitude for their love.
Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to Garrett!
Love to Kim and Steve and Garrett's large extended family!

No comments: