Friday, December 19, 2008

Spell Check

Well, Well...the lesson of the day is SPELL CHECK!


Along with my love of flip flops is my equal non-love for misspelled words.


As a former teacher and professional corporate trainer, I was forever surprised by spelling errors I encountered in both written and typed information.


There was nothing like receiving a wonderful paper from a student only to have to translate the actual content, after correcting the spelling, and then re-reading it for comprehension. As well, when I would review and deliver training to clients, I would cringe at the sight of the one misspelled word in the midst of hundreds of pages of content.


My handwriting is atrocious, so I cannot claim any beauty contest winnings on my penmanship; I like to blame it on being left-handed. However, with the advent of typewriters (yes, I did learn to type on one of these dinosaurs) and computers, there is no reason to have misspelled words.


To my dismay, I wrote my Flip Flop post, posted it and then read it!


I was not LOL but was OMG about the whole thing and as a reminder to myself, I am leaving the word in the post. It will make me think twice or three times before posting prior to reading and using the amazing tools available for me.

Just in case you have not seen this tool, it often appears as an ABC with a check underneath it. As a fail-safe there is the other option called "Preview". Each of these created by someone like me, who not only want to read the written word but want to truly understand it.

For those of you who have no idea what LOL and OMG are, they do not appear in spell check. These are new words...or something.

No comments: